Below you will find several scenarios that students have found themselves in. We have provided information to help navigate through these situations and set you on the right path. If you have any questions about this list or something not on this list, contact us!

I had to miss class because of a religious holiday. Is this an excusable absence?

  • The Dean of Students office does not verify absences related to religious and ethnic holidays. Consistent with the university’s tradition of religious tolerance, faculty and staff are encouraged to be sensitive to students who wish to observe religious and ethnic holidays. It is the student’s responsibility to request and provide justification for a religious accommodation, preferably during the first two weeks of classes or as soon as the student becomes aware of the need for an accommodation. Faculty members are not required to compromise the academic integrity of the course to accommodate religious practices, thus, accommodations for religious practices will be determined by the faculty and will be consistent with their attendance policy.

I’m sick and need to miss class, whom should I contact?

  • Schiffert Health Center at 540-231-6444 or via email at Schiffert Health Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, and Saturday 9:00 a.m. - Noon. For after hours concerns, call the Schiffert Health Center Advice Nurse at 540-231-6444. If it is an emergency please call 911 or go to the closest medical facility.

I was sick and missed class. I did not go to Schiffert but did go to a doctor locally. My professor wants a note from your office. What do I need to do?

  • You will need to go to the Dean of Students office and bring documentation from the doctor. We will need a letter from the doctor’s office stating you were there on a certain date. We do not need to know why you were there. You will fill out a form in our office and we can notify your college and they will notify your professors.

I had to miss class because of a death in the family and my professor told me to contact you for an absence verification note. What do I need to do?

  • You will need to come to the Dean of Students office with documentation. We accept the obituary from the newspaper, a letter from the funeral home on their letterhead, or the program or Mass card from the funeral. You will need to fill out a form at our office and we will notify your college and they will notify your professors.

I have a family emergency and had to go home and miss class, whom would I contact for an excuse?

  • Stop by or call the Dean of Students office at 540-231-3787.

I need to add/drop a class, whom do I call?

  • Call the academic dean of your college or your advisor.

What is the number for the Blacksburg Police?

  • Non-emergency: 540-961-1150
  • Emergency: 911

I need to report possessions stolen on campus, who do I call?

  • Contact Virginia Tech Police for non-emergencies: 540-231-6411

My keys are locked in my car on campus, what can I do?

  • Virginia Tech Police, non-emergency: 540-231-6411
  • Parking Services: 540-231-3200

Are there any campus ministers at Virginia Tech?

  • Yes, call the Dean of Students office for individual listings at 540-231-3787

How will I know about weather-related school closing?

Is there a school newspaper?

I am transferring schools and need copies of my transcripts, whom do I call?

  • Contact the University Registrar at 540-231-6251. There is a $10.00 charge per transcript requested. It usually takes three to five business days to receive a transcript. They can also be ordered through HokieSPA.

How do I sign up for VT Alerts?

I am moving to Virginia and need to know how I change to in-state status, who do I contact?

I have an emergency and need to go home but have no money; can anyone help me?

  • Contact the Dean of Students regarding a emergency grant: 540-231-3787

I am having problems with my professor, whom can I talk to?

  • Someone can assist you in the Dean of Students office: 540-231-3787

Are there any counselors at Virginia Tech that I can talk to?

I am having problems with my landlord regarding my lease, whom can I call?

I’m having problems with my roommate, who should I call?

  • Talk to the RA on your floor first. If the problem persists, call Housing and Residence Life at: 540-231-6205 or the Dean of Students office at: 540-231-3787

Are there guidelines for what I can and can’t bring to campus?

I was told I could get a judicial advisor regarding a Student Conduct Referral I received.

  • Call the Dean of Students Office at 231-3787 to schedule an appointment with one of the Peer Advisors.

I was accused of cheating and need to speak to someone as I don’t feel I did anything wrong.

I received a Student Conduct Referral, whom do I talk to about this?

I’ve lost my Hokie Passport, who do I call and is there a replacement fee?

When is Graduation?

Can my parents stay on campus during graduation?

I received a parking ticket, who should I contact in reference to this?

I have an RV that I would like to use for football games. Where can I park?

I need to buy sporting event tickets, whom do I call?

What are Virginia Tech’s computer requirements?

Is there a bus service to Northern Virginia?

  • Home Ride of Virginia goes to Northern Virginia, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, Richmond, and Hampton: 540-953-2266. Home Ride of Virginia is not affiliated with Virginia Tech

Is there a bus service to the Roanoke airport?

Should I take a car to campus or is there a bus?

  • We recommend that first-year students not bring a car to campus. Blacksburg Transit is a free bus service that can be used by Virginia Tech students by presenting their Hokie Passport to the driver. Buses stop on campus, throughout Blacksburg, and even the New River Valley Mall and Walmart. For more information call 540-961-1185.

Where can I find a list of hotels in Blacksburg?

I heard there was a hotel on campus. What is it called?